Yet another bug fix release, we're still working on integrating selective sync into the tour so stay tuned!
- Fix to regression in 0.8.78 that would occasionally prevent selective sync changes.
- Other small fixes.
Have fun!! All standard experimental build warnings apply ;)
Mac OS X: http://dl-web.dropbox.com/u/17/Dropbox%200.8.80.dmg
Linux x86_64: http://dl-web.dropbox.com/u/17/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-0.8.80.tar.gz
Linux x86: http://dl-web.dropbox.com/u/17/dropbox-lnx.x86-0.8.80.tar.gz
Good news, everyone! Some of you may remember us making recent changes to your Sharing page, and wondered what they were for. Truth is, we were laying the foundation for a brand new feature that we've just finished:
Any file or folder in your Dropbox is now linkable!
These links are presented in a snazzy new web view that allows people to view or play your shared files straight from their browser.
Here's an example of a single file
And an example of a folder
After you've made your link, you can then share it with others by pasting the link, or via Twitter and Facebook. Also, other users visiting your link can copy its contents straight to their Dropbox. Pretty sweet, huh?
Here's how it works:
1. From the web or desktop app, pull up the context menu of the file/folder you'd like to share, then click 'Get shareable link'
2. This takes you to the page view of the file/folder you're linking, and you can grab the link from the top of the page.
3. You can then share this link with anyone!
Some more info:
Special thanks to Trevor, Arash, Drew, the web team, the server team and Albert for making this possible. Enjoy the sharing model!
- This will only work with Dropbox clients 0.8 or higher and the feature is currently in beta. You'll have to restart your client to enable the feature. You can get it here
- All your links are viewable from the 'Linked Items' tab on you Sharing page. You can even make shared folder links, which will be viewable from both tabs.
- The public folder will still work as it always has.
- The music player will keep autoplaying until it runs out of stuff to play. It's pretty handy to set it and forget it ;) (In the future: more controls for the media players)
- Office files, pdfs, code files, etc. are all displayed using custom viewers (or scribd, when appropriate)
- My current favorite sharing model trick: selective sync my entire music library, and still be able to play all my music via sharing model from my laptop
- On the horizon: password protection and expiration, other cool stuff
Friday, June 25, 2010
Dropbox 0.8.80 - Everything can be shared !!!
From Dropbox Forum